Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
Posts: 7973
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by Sun Fin »

I'd happily accept them stopping making DW games and just release a WO every 3 or 4 years!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
User avatar
Deej
Initiate
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:25 am

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by Deej »

Xiahou Jia wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm A very simple, yet somewhat crazy idea. How about Omega Force takes a rest and let Team Ninja develop the next game.
Hey it's Deej from the future, I'm here to tell you that the Three Kingdoms Team Ninja game is being released in less than 2 months time!
User avatar
Daolun
Langzhong
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: The Eastern Marketplace
Contact:

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by Daolun »

Deej wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:25 pm
Xiahou Jia wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm A very simple, yet somewhat crazy idea. How about Omega Force takes a rest and let Team Ninja develop the next game.
Hey it's Deej from the future, I'm here to tell you that the Three Kingdoms Team Ninja game is being released in less than 2 months time!
Three Kingdoms Xtreme Beach Volleyball!?!?!?!?!
以其言非吾言者,是猶以卵投石也,盡天下之卵,其石猶是也,不可毀也。
To refute my principle with one's own principle is like throwing an egg against a boulder. The eggs in the world would be exhausted without doing any harm to the boulder.
User avatar
Jia Nanfeng
Sage
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by Jia Nanfeng »

DaoLunOfShiji wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:29 pm
Deej wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:25 pm
Xiahou Jia wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm A very simple, yet somewhat crazy idea. How about Omega Force takes a rest and let Team Ninja develop the next game.
Hey it's Deej from the future, I'm here to tell you that the Three Kingdoms Team Ninja game is being released in less than 2 months time!
Three Kingdoms Xtreme Beach Volleyball!?!?!?!?!
:lol:

So this is what Dong Zhuo’s future would’ve gifted us…
Lorric
Master
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by Lorric »

They've lost me with the Warriors games. Imo they should make games in the mould of the PS2 games but with the advanced graphics of today. DW4XL Expert AI is the high point of the series for me, and characters that play differently. Now everyone's basically the same, and hit like 20-30 people in a wide 360 radius with every attack.

Make 50KOs mean something again. I'd actually have the KO count be lower than ever, no reinforcement gates, off screen killing be as slow as DW4 if not slower, and it be normal for the player to take double digit minutes to get 50KOs. Make rushing ahead alone suicidal, you have to work with your allies and push the front line up. It's no longer you having to do everything. Different characters would thus have to play the same map differently, and your allies wouldn't be fodder, they'd put in work and you'd be able to appreciate them. Don't tie rewards to killing officers so you don't get mad at them for killing officers and denying you spoils. Rewards would be tied to the overall result of the battle so you'd want them to do well.
User avatar
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish
Posts: 18104
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Happy Valley, UT
Contact:

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by James »

Lorric wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:40 pm They've lost me with the Warriors games. Imo they should make games in the mould of the PS2 games but with the advanced graphics of today. DW4XL Expert AI is the high point of the series for me, and characters that play differently. Now everyone's basically the same, and hit like 20-30 people in a wide 360 radius with every attack.
In my opinion, where they went wrong is in continually modifying the game in whatever direction seemed most suitable for mass appeal. And the games got watered down in the same way many cookie-cutter movies are watered down. A good example would be how some of the challenges and scenarios in the Dynasty Warriors entries around the point you mentioned could be extremely challenging. You could end up carefully moving about to avoid getting hit by archers who might take you out in only a couple shots due to how battle morale shifted. After some blandification, archers just became another form of a small amount of damage, enemies blurred together more, and it just became kill as many as you possibly can with screens full of enemies. A few versions later, I stopped buying entries.
Lorric
Master
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread post by Lorric »

James wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 pm
Lorric wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:40 pm They've lost me with the Warriors games. Imo they should make games in the mould of the PS2 games but with the advanced graphics of today. DW4XL Expert AI is the high point of the series for me, and characters that play differently. Now everyone's basically the same, and hit like 20-30 people in a wide 360 radius with every attack.
In my opinion, where they went wrong is in continually modifying the game in whatever direction seemed most suitable for mass appeal. And the games got watered down in the same way many cookie-cutter movies are watered down. A good example would be how some of the challenges and scenarios in the Dynasty Warriors entries around the point you mentioned could be extremely challenging. You could end up carefully moving about to avoid getting hit by archers who might take you out in only a couple shots due to how battle morale shifted. After some blandification, archers just became another form of a small amount of damage, enemies blurred together more, and it just became kill as many as you possibly can with screens full of enemies. A few versions later, I stopped buying entries.
It's sad that this garnered them far better review scores. The previous games were far better but got savaged with terrible review scores.

I could imagine in my idea for the game, perhaps you could have a similar mechanic to Kessen 2 where you gather men around you for a charge. Rushing a group of archers alone would get you a body full of arrows and dead, and even if you got to them, they'd scatter in every direction and shoot you from all sides. So you'd need to get some help and attack them. They'd be made to be very fragile so your troops could quickly kill them in melee.
Post Reply